Thursday, March 11, 2010

Does Size Matter?....um, I mean chairs!

I was reading a great post on Visual Vamp about a Eames rocking chair she bought for a client and the scale was really small for her tall client. Go to syndrome.htmlttp://visualvamp.blogspot.com/2010/03/mezuzah-syndrome.html to read the post.

It started me thinking about the scale of antique furniture vs. the size of Americans today.   I have two 19th century english fireside chairs that have moved to many different locations in houses that we have lived in.  Here are the fireside chairs in our family room.

These chairs were originally used by the gentlemen of a manor to take a "warm" by the fire.  Now, I got to tell you that these chairs are mine and my 12-year-old twin boys favorite chairs to sit in. They are the perfect size for us.  I am only 5' 3" and the twins  are rapidly catching up to me. These chairs are ergonomically correct for a 5'3" person and are super cozy BUT certainly not for my husband (or for most grown men, for that matter.

So I did some research...in the 1800's, the average height of a man was or 5'2" and now is 5'10".  The height of an average woman in 1940's was 5'2 1/2" and now is 5' 4 1/2 to 5'5" (all info from wikipedia).
Boy, I feel short!


Visual Vamp Blog photo

The Eames rocking chair was designed in 1948.

Just to give a visual scale of club chairs today that men love to sit in because they are  big and hugging. 
Our living room

Wow, big difference!  Maybe that is why most men do not have an appreciation for antiques chairs and couches.

Thoughts?

Au Revoir for now.


5 comments:

  1. Hi, Melissa, nice to meet you! Welcome to blogging, I hope you have as much fun as I have with it. There are so many great people to meet all over blogland. And thank you for adding me to your blog list, I'm honored. I've got to get an updated list going too. So glad you left a message & please come back again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes so much sense! That chair does look small in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited to find your blog! It is gorgeous! I cannot wait to see more. I agree about the antique furniture for sure. Chairs and couches are definitely smaller. (So are the dinner plates for that matter!!) Plus people didn't lounge around in front of tvs, etc.,in their parlors so they didn't need the kind of comfy furniture that people want now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita, I am so glad you found my blog! You are so right about the size of dinner plates. I bet if everyone went back the original size plates and stop super sizing, the obesity problem would be solved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,, great points, everything seems to have grown to super-size!! Welcome! Come see me and follow I will have a painting give away soon!! It is drying!!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete