Thursday, July 15, 2010

Seagrass Rugs vs. Dogs and Kids - your opinion welcomed!


I would love everyone's opinion. You see, I am considering seagrass rugs for several rooms of our house.  I  am not sure how seagrass holds up to stains od spills or "piddles".  I have four small dogs and two kids so, of course, you get the occasional accident.

My only experience I have with natural fibers with kids is Sisal and it was a disaster.  I had specified a Sisal as a wall-to-wall in my twin boy's baby room and between the spit up and a dehumidifier tipping over, the carpet was a stained mess in less than a year.  I had it ripped out and something low maintenance installed.

Cote de Texas via Google

I truly welcome opinions.  What is you opinion of Seagrass?  Can it withstand stains?  If so, what is the secret to cleaning stains?

Au Revoir for now.





5 comments:

  1. Joni swears by it. You should contact her and ask about cleaning, she has a dog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seagrass in my den over hardwoods and orientals in my LR and DR over hardwoods. The orientals are by far the easiest. I will say the seagrasss has held up and cleaned better than sisal but still...no comparison to the ease of the beautiful orientals...the pattern and the wool is unbeatable. One more thing, I do not find the seagrass comfortable if you go barefoot. I know some will disagree but I thought I would throw an opinion in there from a normal house full pets and people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sisal stains and is nothing like seagrass - it's much more itchy too.
    seagrass is practically spill proof/pet proof. just take water, tons of it and if it is a pet issue - use something like Incredible and just blot it out. nothing stains seagrass, i swear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the goddess of seagrass (and Queen of the Blog world!) approves and revealed her secrets. I am going to run out a purchase the seagrass rugs today! Also, thanks to Linda and Dianne for commenting.

    I actually taking up the Orientals since we have such a formal house and I want to lighten it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I just read this and felt I had to comment. I read Joni religiously, I agree with you she is a goddess and if she would come live with me and decorate my house I could die a happy woman. That being said I can't force myself to go with the seagrass because it hurts my feet. I will be curious to see what you think of your purchase. Please let me know. MB

    ReplyDelete