Friday, October 29, 2010

So many new design books published!

I think I mentioned in my profile that I am a interior design magazine and book junkie!  Yes, it is truly my fix.  Whenever I need to relax, I pick out a book from my extensive library of design books/or notebooks of magazine clippings.  No matter how many times I look at design, I always see it differently.  Do you?


I see interior design as "art".  Depending upon your mood or the project you are working on at that moment, you are inspired by something in a room that you might have not notice the last time you read it.  I love the rediscovery!


I just picked up several newly published books that I want to share .. PLUS, I would love to know what your favorites might be.


Just bought- and highly recommend as a must for a designer's library:


Mary McDonald Interiors
This book is eye candy!!  There is a wealth of design details to study and learn.  I love her glamorous Hollywood style that is not so over-the-top/tacky as some known designers from Los Angeles.  (Uhhum - KWID) Her eye for couture detail in fabric fabrication is wonderful...afterall she started as a milliner.




At Home by Suzanne Rheinstein



Owner of the unique Los Angeles shop - .Hollyhock takes you through a tour of her homes and
 Pied-à-terre in New York.  She has a philosophy of buying few items but the best you can buy.  Her antique selections are wonderful.


Vicente Wolf - Lifting The Curtain On Design


Vicente Wolf's blog  is one of my favorites! He is so generous with his readers about all aspects of the interior design business.  He shares so many trade secrets that so many others keep close to their breast.  His book is equally as sharing.  He is such a wonderful photographer and sees the beauty in everything around him and translates it into his designs.  


Victoria Hagan's Interior Portraits



Victoria Hagan is known for her white, peaceful designs.  If you like the "Something's Gotta Give" set, you will like this book.  I have always watched her career because we started designing about the same time and she was known as the "name" to watch. (She certainly surpassed me!!)  She is a resident of Fairfield, CT, as I am, as well.  I love her style BUT what I really like in this book is the artwork in all her rooms.  I wonder if she selects the artwork or works with an art consultant.  Unique and great choices.

Chris Madden "The Soul of the House"
I love this book because she shares the same interest I do in quirky, old houses.  They are like orphans that need a home.  Her home in Rye, NY is a gem.  If you like old houses with great bones, the add this to your library.

Thought this would be great! but...
I bought this because I thought it would be a great peek into fashion designer's home.  Unfortunately, it covers too many designers with little content.  Two pages are dedicated to each designer with very little to see.  Very disappointed and returned it.  SKIP IT!!

I would love to know what your favorite design books are?  Past or newly published.  Always looking to add to my collection.

Au Revoir for now!

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I just figured out how to "follow blogs", I am a little slow. I have had fun following this blog and thanks for the book suggestions. I too have a large collection of design books and have worked as a designer. We have lots in common old friend! You have inspired me, I am off to Barnes and Noble to use a gift certificate that has been hanging out in the bottom of my purse, after I vote of course!I think Chris Madden's book will be my purchase, I have been eyeing it for a while. One of my favorite books is HOME by Stafford Cliff,Doug Wright as an essay about his home it this book. Great read! xoxo Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new book of Vicente Wolf is a dream!

    ReplyDelete