Monday, September 27, 2010

An Affair With A House- Bunny Williams, I feel it, too!

I have not blogged in a very long time...sorry about that.

Most of it is because I have been busy with house projects!!! We lived in NYC for  the last year and used our home as a weekend house.  When you have an older house and you are not there all the time, projects pile up and need tending to. Thus, that has taken away from blogging time!

I love old homes...many can never be replicated anymore for various reasons - building codes, costs involved, lack of specialized workmanship to name a few.
The open fireplace in the family room can never be duplicated because of  building codes.  It is the BEST fireplace!!!  Keeps the room so warm and truly safe because it is on a step up.
Turret that we had insulated when we renovated but so unique.  The  column in the center is made from one tree trunk.

BUT,  owning an older home has responsibilities that come with it to preserve a piece of history.  It is almost becomes a  LOVE/HATE relationship with your house.  Our house is very special.  It was completed in 1933 by the engineer of the Empire State Building as his summer home. Its outside structure is made of steel just like the Empire State Building.


Every time I think about how much I love my house and yet how much you have to care for it, I think of Bunny Williams!!!  When I get the love/hate feeling, I pick up her wonderful book "An Affair With A House".
Bunny Williams along with her husband John Roselli have had a love affair with this 18th century house in Litchfield County, CT.




Their beautiful conservatory that was added on  in the 90's
At night.

Conservatory by day
When reading Bunny's book, I am reminded how lucky I am to have such a special house!

Au Revoir for now!
raktwins@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh Melissa, you do and I am excited to see more of it!!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete